Breasts are a reflection of self-image for a woman. Asymmetrical breasts or small size breasts can have negative psychological and emotional effects such as lower self-esteem and confidence on women. This in turn has led to a steep rise in the demands for breast enhancements, with seasoned surgeons being busy like a bee to adhere to the requests.
Breast augmentation is a procedure of breast implants or fat transfer to increase the size of your breasts. This procedure can also restore breast volume lost after weight reduction or pregnancy, enhance a woman’s natural proportions and create a more symmetrical breast profile. The decision to undergo breast augmentation requires much thought and research. Following are some important factors to consider when it comes to breast augmentation:
- Breast Implant Size: Choosing the right size implant is one of the top factors in being happy with the result. Breast implant size is measured in ccs – the higher the cc, the larger the implant. Implant size depends on the patient examination by the doctor and how natural patient wants the implants to look.The patient should try on different implant sizes and see how each size will look on your body type. Ask your surgeon to show you the pictures of other women who got implants to get an idea of what to expect.
- Variety of implants: Based on individual needs or goals, one can choose saline or silicone implants. Silicone implants are made with a silicone gel that are designed to offers more natural look and feels. Likewise, Saline Implants are filled with sterile salt water, which is filled at the time of insertion in the breast. It is advisable to talk to your surgeon about the outcome and feel that you’re trying to achieve before choosing between silicone and saline implants.
- Implant Surface: Breast implants come in two different textures – smooth surface or textured surface. The smooth surface implant is sleek like a smooth plastic cover all the way around. Smooth implants tend to have a slightly lower rippling rate and also last longer. While textured implants surface is rough and has a thicker shell, which makes them feel firmer. It is very important for the patient to evaluate benefits and drawbacks to make the right choice for yourself
- Shape of breast implant: There are two basic breast implant shapes: Round Breast Implants and Anatomical Breast Implants. Round Breast Implants have a symmetrical round shape and come in both textured and smooth surfaces. Women who wish to have fuller upper breasts can achieve this look with round breast implants. Anatomical breast implants also known as teardrop, look oval-shaped when viewed from the front. When viewed from the side they appear to have more volume at the bottom, giving the implant a natural, sloping look to the breasts.
- Incision Decision: The purpose for the incision is to allow the safe placement and accurate positioning of the breast implant in the body in consultation with the surgeon.
Usually, four main types of incision come into effect during breast augmentation:
- Inframammary Incision (crease or fold incision)
- Periareolar Incision (nipple incision)
- Transaxillary Incision (armpit incision)
- TUBA Incision (belly button or transumbilical incision)
The incision placement decision is based on patient’s anatomy, desired outcome and the size and shape of the breast implants.
To sum up, breast augmentation is the most popular surgical procedure and was one of the top five cosmetic surgical procedures performed in 2016 according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. The desire for a perfect and natural look is clearly driving women for breast augmentation as the preference. It is important for a patient to consider all the appropriate factors related to breast augmentation beforehand.
Indeed, a busty beauty is adorable, and with breast augmentation, you can come that closer to attaining the glamorous look. However, the precautions as specified by the cosmetic surgeon are a must to follow during and after the treatment, for best results.