Tummy tuck surgery or in medical science language Abdominoplasty, is capable of removing excess fat and repair of muscles in the abdomen, leaving it smooth and firm. A well shaped abdomen is something we all desire and strive for through balanced diet, exercise and weight control. In most cases it is quite hard to achieve a perfect abdomen.
Every individual’s normal body will produce a protruding abdomen which appears lagging and sagging. The reason behind is-
- Prior surgery
- Significant fluctuations in weight
Have a look around your body and answer following questions
- Do you have loose or extra skin?
- Are there visible stretch marks?
- Is there muscle laxity from pregnancy?
- If the answer to the above questions is yes then you can expect tummy tuck procedure to bring wonderful results for you.
If the answer to the above questions is yes then you can expect tummy tuck procedure to bring wonderful results for you.
What Can Be Considered Normal & Abnormal
- Less than 7 percent of body fat is considered abnormal.
- On the other hand more than 15 percent of body fat might hurt the functionality of the inner organs.
- Pendulous fat is a complete NO NO.
- Cellulite & abnormal rippling of fat are undesirable.
What Can You Expect From the Procedure?
- Tummy tuck procedure is performed under general anaesthesia and whole procedure demands 2-4 hours for successful completion. After the procedure we keep patient in the centre for 24 hours for supervision and post operation status check.
- In some of the cases liposuction is done at initial level and later on tummy tuck procedure is carried out to maintain a balanced proportion to the body.
- In tummy tuck procedure, the decision of making incisions rests in the hands of surgeon.
- During the Abdominoplasty, a plastic surgeon removes the loose skin, eliminates deposits of fat and tightens the abdominal muscles.
- This successful surgical treatment can be customised as per the unique needs of the specific patient.
- There are several types of tummy tuck surgeries, each one is designed to treat specific areas of the body suffering from certain issues.
- Our plastic surgeons specialize in delivering natural looking results with a gift of improved self confidence.
After the surgery your abdomen wrapped with the elastic bandage or compression garments to cover the stitches and minimize swelling. These also work as a support. In some cases thin tubes are left inside the skin on temporary basis to drain excess blood, fluid that might have collected during the procedure.
The results will start to appear after 4 to 5 weeks simultaneously swelling & bruising will fade away.
What a Tummy Tuck Won't Do
A tummy tuck is not suitable for weight loss and cannot be treated as substitute for any exercise program.
However, the results of tummy tuck surgery are permanent but the results can diminish by fluctuations in weight. If you are planning to go for weight loss or planning to have a baby it is advisable to postpone the tummy tuck surgery until you are done with other activities.
Stretch marks cannot be expected to be removed completely with tummy tuck surgery although they will be eliminted to some extent.