Many people are opting for chemical peels to improve the skin’s appearance and to reduce fine lines, skin discoloration, sun damage, acne scars, and dullness. Basically, it is a non-surgical method in which a chemical solution is used to peel the top layer of the skin. It is best for people who have normal skin and people with oily skin, blond hair, and natural blond hair must avoid this option.
Sometimes after the treatment, the patient has redness and it depends on the strength of the chemical peel. It can be normal redness which fades away in 24 to 48 hours. For some patients, it is a temporary redness in which it changes the color of the skin and it last for several weeks. In case, it is not going away then you should consult a doctor.
Here are a few steps which will help you to reduce the amount of redness after the peel.
- After the treatment of chemical peel, it is essential that you keep your skin covered. It will help you protect your skin from dust, bacteria, and dirt, which will eventually reduce the redness. Additionally, the doctor covers the face with a bandage and he might advise you to buy additional bandage. Keep in mind that you don’t remove it without your dermatologist advice.
- You must handle your skin with the utmost care. If you don’t take proper care than the skin might get peeled. The patient should avoid picking up the flakes. In addition to this, you should not scrub or scratch your skin if you feel itching around the area as it might increase redness which also results in scarring.
- Make sure your skin is moisturized because if the skin is dry it can get crack and get red which results in scarring. You must apply the moisturizer which the doctor has advised you and with proper directions. Most doctors recommend using petroleum jelly as they help in healing the redness which is caused by the peel. For best results, you should apply moisturizer 3 to 4 times a day.
- Another way to get rid of redness is to use cold compression technique. Once the bandage is removed, gently press a wet cloth on the skin as it will help your skin to soothe and redness is reduced.
- The patient should protect the skin from extreme temperature. No doubt, after the treatment the skin become sensitive so you should avoid the skin exposure in extreme temperature, and avoid spicy food as it also increases redness. Moreover, you should avoid using makeup for at least 10 days.
- Apply sunscreen on the skin to avoid any type of damage or redness. This will surely make a lot of difference and your skin will heal faster